My American Made Hunting Gear
Outfitting with the best hunting equipment in the world
By Matt Mullins Last updated: August 15, 2023
I hope my example helps others find awesome hunting gear proudly made in the USA. Here I’ve listed what equipment I personally use with links to reliable retailers where you can find them. About 95% of my gear is made in the USA, I’ll make a note if any gear is imported.
My Packing List:
Backpack Hunting and Camping Gear
- Camo – FORLOH Camo: Stretch Woven Pants, Half-Zip Shirt, Airalite Rain Jacket, Airalite Rain Pants, AllClima Softshell Jacket (winter), Mesh Ball Cap, formerly I used US Military Multicam/OCP
- Backpack – Exo Mtn Gear K4 5000, formerly I used the K3 4800
- Filter – Sawyer Micro Squeeze Water Filter
- Headlamp – Princeton Tec Vizz
- Gaiters – Otte Gear Multicam Gaiters
- Knives – Bark River Mini Aurora Hunter 3V Knife and ZT 0452CF Folding Knife
- Sharpener – DMT DuoSharp or DMT Mini-Sharp Fine Diamond Knife Sharpeners
- Tent – ZPacks DupleXL ultralight tent
- Sleeping Bag – Feathered Friends Merlin 30 deg (discontinued and replaced with the Hummingbird UL 30) or Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20 deg. or Feathered Friends Snowbunting EX 0 deg. depending on temps
- Sleep Pad – Therm-a-Rest Xtherm or Xlite Pad
- Down Jacket – Feathered Friends Helios
- Socks – Darn Tough and/or Farm to Feet Hiking Socks
- Bear Food Storage – Ursack Major Bear Bag
- Fire – Exotac nanoStriker Fire Steel and Bic Mini Lighter
- Tarp – Grabber Space Blanket Tarp if dry and no tent
- First Aid – Israeli Bandage (Note – made in Israel), Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Ibuprofen, Benadryl, old Hydrocodone from past surgery
- Stove – MSR Whisperlite International or MSR PocketRocket (Note – PocketRocket is S. Korea made)
- Boots – Danner Crag Rat USA (when wet)
- Trail Running Shoes – La Sportiva Karacal ( Black/Forest) shoes when dry (Note – imported)
- Cook Pot – Open Country 2 qt (discontinued)
- Bow – A Bowtech Realm SR6 and an Elite Verdict are my current bows. Previous was a Bear Archery Paradox HC… Cabela’s rebranded it as their Cabela’s Blackout Epic but it’s made by Bear.
- Bow Sight – Black Gold Pro Series Sight.
- Rest – QAD Ultra-Rest HDX.
- Arrows – Easton Axis 5mm arrows.
- Broadheads – QAD Exodus and Tooth of the Arrow 1″ and XL vented 125 gn broadheads.
- Release – Tru-Fire Edge Four Finger.
- Stabilizer – AAE Mountain Series 10″ Stabilizer. Previous was a 10″ Wickstick.
- Quiver – Alpine Archery 4-Arrow Waypoint Quiver (lightweight).
- Bugle – Rocky Mountain Rogue Bugle Tube.
- Elk Diaphragm Calls – Carlton’s 1.5, Double, and Triple.
Rifles and Shotguns
- Savage Ultralite Rifle .300 WSM with Ultradyne Pegasus Brake
- Savage Model 99 Lever Action .308 Win (favorite classic rifle!)
- Winchester Model 70 in .270 win with McMillan Fiberglass Stock (my older version was made in the USA, now Winchester mod 70’s are made in Japan)
- Savage 99 Lever Action .250 Savage
- Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge Shotgun for birds
- Scopes – Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm, VX-5HD 3-15x44mm, and VX-2 2-9x40mm scopes
- Scope Rings – DNZ Game Reaper and Leupold STD Rings
- Ammo – I generally reload with Barnes TTSX and LRX bullets for most shots and heavy Hornady ELD-X bullets for longer range. I prefer to keep meat damage to a minimum and penetration with reliable expansion to a maximum.