American Gear Guide's Top Picks
This is our favorite gear, the top American made equipment that earns our Editor’s Choice and Best Buy Awards.
We have spent countless combined hours testing and perfecting our gear choices, this is what works best for us and our personal preferences. Keep in mind that certain gear choices like boots are incredibly personal. What fits our feet and is best for us may not necessarily be the best for you so be sure to try on footwear. We hope that our positive experiences (and the lessons learned from negative ones) will help others discover exceptional outdoor gear for getting out and enjoying our world.
Regarding our Best Buy And Editor’s Choice Awards: The Best Buy is awarded to gear that presents the greatest value for the price. The Editor’s Choice is given to the highest quality gear, period.
- Best Men’s Backpacking Boots (Editor’s Choice) – Danner Crag Rat USA
- Best Women’s Backpacking Boots (Editor’s Choice) – Danner Mountain Light Cascade
- Best Men’s Light Hiking Boots (Best Buy) – Keen Durand Evo Men’s
- Best Women’s Light Hiking Boots (Best Buy) – Keen Durand Evo Women’s
- More details on – Best Boots
- Best All-Around Sleeping Bag (Editor’s Choice) – Feathered Friends Hummingbird
- Best Cold Weather Sleeping Bag (Editor’s Choice) – Feathered Friends Snowbunting EX 0
- Best Winter Sleeping Bag (Editor’s Choice) – Feathered Friends Ptarmigan EX -25
- Best Winter Extreme Expedition Sleeping Bag (Editor’s Choice) – Feathered Friends Snowy Owl ES -60
- More details on – Best Sleeping Bags
Water Bottles & Purification
- Best Personal Water Filter – Sawyer Squeeze
- Best Group Water Filter – Platypus GravityWorks
- Best Chemical Treatment – Katadyn Micropur MP1 Tablets
- Best Metal Water Bottle – Liberty Bottleworks
- Best Collapsible Water Bottle – Platypus 2L Platy
- Best Water Reservoir – MSR Dromedary
- More details on – Water Bottles
- More details on – Best Water Filters
- Best Midweight Down Jacket – Feathered Friends Helios
- Best Lightweight Down Jacket – Feathered Friends Eos
- Best Expedition Down Jacket – Feathered Friends Khumbu
- Best Shell Jacket – FORLOH AllClima Soft Shell Jacket
- Best Rain Jacket and Pants – FORLOH Airalite Rain Jacket and Pants
- Best Waterproof Winter Pants – NWT3K Custom Snow Pants
- Best Base Layers – FORLOH Deep Space Base Layers
- Best Hiking Socks – Darn Tough Micro Crew Socks
- Best Skiing and Boarding Socks – Darn Tough OTC Padded Cushion Socks
- Lightweight Compass – Brunton Truarc 3
- Mirrored Sighting Compass – Brunton Truarc 20
- Bear Proof Food Storage – Ursack Major Bear Resistant Bag
- First Aid Kit – Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight/Watertight .7 Medical Kit
- Multi-Tool – Leatherman Wave Plus
- Budget Pocket Knife – Buck Slim 112
- Premium Pocket Knife – ZT 0452CF
- Lightweight Travel Book – Waterproof Kindle Paperwhite (Not made in USA)
- Bear Spray – Frontiersman Bear Spray
- Sunglasses – Oakley Holbrook
- Hammock – Hummingbird Ultralight Hammock
*Note that this equipment is made in the USA but some may contain a few imported materials, however we don’t want the perfect to be the enemy of the good. We take more satisfaction in locally produced gear and find the quality of our top gear picks to be superior compared with top name brands produced overseas.
My search for the best American-made phone cases and screen protectors has ended in success. Here are the results.
My personal recommendations for the top ten EDC folding knives made in the USA. If you’re looking for men’s gift ideas, this isn’t a bad place to start.
Find the most reliable, best engineered flashlights available.
Here you’ll find a lineup of the best headlamps made in the USA for camping, backpacking, running, hiking, biking, fishing, and all things in the dark.
Want the best hiking, backpacking, or work boots made in the USA for Men and Women? Here they are!
Recommendations to find the best American made axes.
If you ever want to purchase ANYTHING from Amazon, REI.com, Cabela’s, or Sportsman’s Warehouse… even for dog food or toothpaste, then you can help me without costing you a single penny. If you use my links to make a purchase within 24 hrs then I will receive a tiny credit that will help my site pay its dues and continue running. So all I ask is that if you find the free info here useful and you need to make a purchase at Amazon, REI, etc. then please use the links on this site. This costs you nothing extra but will help provide myself and this website a dollar or two to help keep on trucking.
You can bookmark the following sites and each time you purchase something it will help American Gear Guide in a small but significant way. Bookmarkable links: Amazon, REI.com, Cabela’s, or Sportsman’s Warehouse.